Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Emerging Technologies

I read several articles today about emerging technologies being used in education. Many of these were links from my EDTEC572 class, Technologies for Course Delivery. I also viewed a Breeze presentation referenced in one of the articles. The presentation is "Connecting Learning Objects with RSS, Trackback and Weblogs" by Alan Levine, Brian Lamb and D'Arcy Norman. It is available at: http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/show.nmc103/. This was a great introduction for me to the world of RSS, something I previously knew next to nothing about. As a result I think my next big project for my site - either my web site or my blog site - will be to add RSS feeds from several sites I am interested in. Stay tuned.

I also learned much more today about wikis including where the word came from. "Wiki wiki" meaning quick in Hawaiian. More importantly I learned more about how a wiki can be used to foster collaborative learning. It is also a useful means to foster a sense of community among any group. I can think of many applications for wikis.

I need to take more time to digest what else I read today before I discuss much of it.

No comments: