Thursday, August 12, 2004

International Learning Technology

Here is a copy of a post I wrote for my 572 class blog. I am particularly interested in learning technology can be applied internationally.

I took a break this evening from working on my project and spent a short time looking through a few of the educational technology journals I have bookmarked. I found some very interesting information in a journal I had not looked at in several months, Educational Technology and Society, published on-line by the International Forum of Educational Technology and Society. Their April 2004 Edition includes a section of special articles dedicated to “Technology - Enhanced Learning”. There are eight papers in the section plus a beginning article that summarizes the other papers. According to the authors of the summary article, four of the other papers focus on learners and four focus on systems. Two of the papers focusing on systems – linked here and here – discuss learning objects. The third systems related paper discusses systems used to foster on-line collaboration. The fourth systems related paper describes a system used to promote learning communities. I have only had an opportunity to read the summary article and to briefly scan the four systems articles. Nevertheless, all the articles should provide a good view of some of the work the international community is doing regarding educational technology. I am interested in them because I enjoy learning about educational technology from an international perspective. Since learning objects and on-line communities are two topics relevant to our Technologies for Course Delivery course, I wanted to share them with you all. Happy reading.

No comments: