Saturday, September 24, 2005

Wiki class

I started taking a class about wikis this weekend, specifically Wikis as Tools for Collaborative Learning and Knowledge Management. It is very cool. I write “it is” because I am sitting in class at this moment. I am ...

OK I started writing this post while in class but could not finish it. There was way too much going on for me to concentrate on to write much worthwhile here. I hope to be able to learn a great deal in the next three weeks about wikis, how to develop and use them and what they are best for. With this newfound knowledge I hope to help develop and use wikis and help others learn more about them.

Wiki sustainability is a key issue with wikis. How do we get people to start, and continue, using them? We have to pay attention to the WIIFM factor – What’s In It For Me. If people see little use for themselves they will be less likely to use a wiki. However, if we can make people see great value in using a wiki they are likely to be active users.

Before taking this class I did not realize there were so many things to learn about wikis. The next few weeks are going to be quite interesting.

No comments: